Each year, Martin Luther King Day inspires thousands of people to serve others in ways ranging from providing meals and improving the environment to sparking discussions about equality or just helping their neighbors. Think about which ways of giving back interest you. It is a great time to get kids involved too!
Today, MLK Day might just seem like another holiday from work and school, but it should represent much more. While many employees get the day off, the holiday’s real purpose is to encourage “A Day of Service” on a national and local level.
Many organizations and programs use the holiday to carry on MLK’s good work. On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, college campuses, nonprofits, and activist groups share his message. Their actions make a difference in today’s world — just as Martin Luther King, Jr. did all those years ago.
What Can You Do?
There are many ways you can make a difference on MLK day. Here are a few ideas:
- Host peaceful rallies and parades to raise awareness for issues surrounding infringements of the Constitution, and promote equal rights for all.
- Connect with local nonprofits, food banks, schools, and faith groups to create a broad range of volunteer opportunities.
- Provide community support at advocacy events, panel discussions, donation and fundraising affairs, and community concerts.
- Volunteer for an environmental organization. Some of the most fundamental human (and Constitutional) rights are the rights to life, liberty, and happiness. However, pollution, dwindling resources, and overconsumption can compromise these freedoms.
- Become an educational mentor
There are endless ways to get involved so it is up to you to either choose something that is already laid out for you by simply doing a little research or getting creative and designing your own thing. Continue to answer Martin Luther King, Jr.’s question: “What are you doing for others?”
All of us can volunteer, donate to worthy causes, and try to make a difference in our communities. But most importantly, volunteer because you want to help your community. Help yourself by helping others and spread Martin Luther King, Jr.’s message. Your efforts will contribute to creating the world MLK dreamed of. It all starts with a day of Service. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed the world during his life and continues to do so. Thanks to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we can all do good works in his name.