Will Personal Umbrella Liability Cover Me?

As we look forward to summer with filling up swimming pools, cookouts, entertaining, boating, motorcycling, or even enjoying your kids or grandkids on their newly purchased trampoline, now is a goodtime to stop and think about adding or increasing personal umbrella liability insurance.

Often called “Umbrella Protection,” personal excess liability insurance expands your protection beyond what’s in your homeowner and vehicle policies. This additional coverage is an essential part of your insurance portfolio to protect you and your assets if the personal liability protection provided by your standard policies has been exhausted.

Extending the limits of your auto and homeowner policies through umbrella insurance can provide coverage for personal injury claims, including false arrest, libel, and wrongful eviction, typically excluded by standard policies. Plus, umbrella insurance can protect your income in a lawsuit as some settlements can garnish your earnings or wages for up to 10 years.

You might need excess liability coverage if you:

  • Own a home
  • Drive a car or motorcycle (yours, someone else’s, or dependent drivers)
  • Entertain
  • Have a swimming pool
  • Own a dog
  • Employ people in your home (cleaning, landscaping, other domestic staff)
  • Fly a drone or an actual airplane
  • Operate a boat, Jet Ski, or other recreational vehicles
  • Own a trampoline
  • Serve on a board or committee (for-profit or nonprofit)
  • Use social media (blogging, Tweeting, posting comments and photos)

If any of these risk factors apply to you, you should consider excess liability coverage.

At Bryn Mawr Trust Insurance Advisors, we believe that just as an umbrella will shield you from the rain, having a well-thought-out insurance plan with an umbrella insurance policy will protect you from a downpour—that worst-case scenario where the assets you have built could be at considerable risk. 

Contact Bryn Mawr Trust Insurance Advisors to review your risk profile.